Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Free Pattern: Chunky Yarn Hat- newborn

Alright folks...here we go! Here is my first free pattern. YAY!! I have seen all sorts of these thick yarn hats on Etsy and love them...just couldn't figure out how to make them! Then one day I decided to just start hooking and figure it out. So here it is! I love how thick and chunky it looks...happy hooking!

Chunky Yarn Hat

Supplies:
Chunky Yarn (At least Medium, 4-5 weight...I used Lion Brand Nature's Choice yarn)
Size J/10 Hook (6.00mm)

Abbreviations:
Ch - chain
Dc - double crochet
Fpdc- front post double stich

Instructions for Newborn:

Round 1: Magic Ring, ch 2. 6 dc inside of ring.  Pull ring tight.  Join with sl st to top ch of ch 2.
Round 2: Ch 2. Dc in same stitch.  2 dc in each dc around.  Join with sl st to top ch of ch 2.
Round 3: Ch 2. Dc in same stitch  *2 dc in next dc, dc in next dc.  Repeat from * around.  Join with sl st to top ch of ch 2.
Round 4-5: Ch 2. Dc in each dc around. Join with sl st to top ch of ch 2.
Round 6: Ch 2.* Fpdc in first dc. Dc in next dc.* Repeat from * around. Join with sl st to top ch of ch 2. Fasten off and weave in ends.

Flip hat inside out.

And here's my little sweetie pie in her chunky yarn hat! (Sorry the pic is a bit blurry...cell phone camera!)

2 comments:

  1. Your baby is adorable and your pattern is very helpful. I was looking for a baby hat pattern using chunky yarn and thanks to you my search has ended and I can get my hook on now. ;-) It's good to see a hat on an actual baby so I know it's going to fit. A lot of patterns have hats on dolls or just laying on a table and I don't want to go to the trouble of making something that won't fit a real live person. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! We think she's pretty cute too! It's been quite a while since I've posted anything...maybe I should get back to it!

    ReplyDelete