Another year has past. A new year has arrived. Which, of course, means a new start. I've always been a person who has made new years resolutions, but never followed through with them. Typical...I know. But this year is different...it has to be! 2012 presented it's own challenges for our family and with aa brand new year, means another chance. Another chance to succeed, another chance to try again, another chance to make this year a great one! So I'm going to put it out there. My plans on how to make that happen. So here they are:
1. Read a daily devotions. I am a fairly religious person and have an incredibly strong faith, but lack in this department. I bought a devotional years and years ago (like before my husband and I ever met!) and really enjoyed it, but never did the entire year. It has a morning and a night.
2. Pick up every night. There are two reasons for this. A.) I have two children who can make a pretty little mess in no time and that gets to be a lot. B.) My husband hates clutter and if I can do this for him and make it a habit, it will make him happier. So every night, I'm going to take the time to pick up things. Not to make myself happy, but to make my family happier.
3. Drink more water...like 2-3L per day. I work for a peds nephrologist and on an almost daily basis, I hear him tell our patients that you need to stay hydrated to keep your kidneys happy. This can also make your skin healthier, which makes you look younger. It can increase your metabolism and to let you all know, that would help me a lot...lost the baby weight, but would like to lose more! And another benefit, it helps with fatigue. With an almost 18 month old girl who still sometimes gets up at night, it could be a large benefit to me.
4. Go to bed...at a decent time. I am known as a night owl. I can stay up until 10:45-11 at night. And having to get up early is not easy for me. I am not a morning person. I can't get up early, I need lots of coffee to get going. I love my coffee, but would love to not need it. So if I could get there by 10:00 with lights out by 10:30, that would give me 7 1/2 hrs of sleep.
5. Get serious about my health. While we do a good job of eating healthy, I don't take time for myself to take care of my health...as in exercise. For like 5 years, I've wanted to start running again. I bought the Nike+ shoes, I got the iPod arm band, I bought the jogging stroller (off craigslist at least!) I've started the Couch to 5K at least 5 times and get through the first week and run into a road block. I get to the first week, maybe two and usually get to a weekend and stop. And every year, my goal has been to run a 5K and every year, I disappoint myself. I did do a MudChug this last summer, which was fun, but not straight running. So I need to do this for myself. And since I live in the tundra of South Dakota, I need to come up with another plan until I can get outside. Hence my next goal.
6. Actually finish Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. Our snowy land doesn't make it ideal for going outside and running and since I don't have a treadmill...I need another idea. So this is it. I've done it before for a few weeks and know that I can do it, so this year...all 30 days...no excuses.
So that's a lot. But I know that when I accomplish these things, it will make me a happier person, a better mom and an even better wife. But I'm doing this for me. After years of always doing things for others, I need to be a little bit selfish and do some things for myself. I'd say wish me luck, but luck has nothing to do with it. Maybe it's more like, wish me motivation.
Tuesday, November 27, 2012
I made this hat for a friend of mine who is due any day!
For a quick pattern, make your favorite basic earflap hat.
For the antlers: Magic Circle, 5 sc in circle, Rd 2, 2 sc in each stitch, rows 3-however long you want your antlers, 1 sc in each
Make another one except shorter and attach to side.
For the ears: Magic Circle, 8 sc in the circle, Rd 2, 2 sc in each sc, Rd 3, 1 sc then 2 sc in next. Fold in half and stitch next to antlers
For eyes: Magic Circle, 4sc in circle, Rd 2, 2 sc in each. Make two and attach